Strasburg Railroad, Canada Natural CN 89 Canadian Locomotive Company 2-6-0 “Mogul” Locomotive passing Norfolk and Western No. 475 freight train held up in the siding in Strasburg, Pennsylvania on November 7, 2021.
No. 89 was originally built in February 1910 by the Canadian Locomotive Company in Kingston, Ontario for the Grand Trunk Railway as number 1009. In 1919 it was renumbered 911. In 1923, the Grand Trunk was merged into the Canadian National Railway (CN) with 911 being one of the thousands of locomotives working for this new railroad. In 1951, 911 was renumbered 89. Most of 89’s career on the CN is unknown; it appears that it spent the latter part of its working life in Quebec before being retired in the late 1950s and being stored in a deadline of locomotives in Montreal.
In 1961, No. 89 was purchased by New England seafood magnate and steam locomotive collector F. Nelson Blount and moved to North Walpole, New Hampshire, in the United States. No. 89 found a home in the former Boston & Maine North Walpole roundhouse and starting in 1965, would begin operating on the Green Mountain Railroad and would be moved across the Connecticut River to Bellows Falls, Vermont. No. 89 quickly became Blount’s favorite locomotive and he would often be found at the throttle until his death in 1967.
In July 1972, the Green Mountain Railroad sold No. 89 to the Strasburg Rail Road outside of Strasburg, Pennsylvania. This is a linear village along the Great Conestoga Road, stretching about two miles along a path later known as the Strasburg Road. The population was 2,809 at the 2010 census. The move from Bellows Falls to Strasburg was overseen by Strasburg employee Linn Moedinger. During a stopover in Penn Central’s Buttonwood Yard in Wilkes-Barre, No. 89 was stranded when Hurricane Agnes caused the Susquehanna River to flood much of the area. No. 89 spent several days submerged in the rail yard but emerged with little to no damage.
Upon arrival at Strasburg, No. 89 faced east and would remain that way until the turntable at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania was installed in 1973. No. 89 frequently operated in tandem with Pennsylvania Railroad 4-4-0 No. 1223 on Strasburg’s half-hour trains until it was taken out of service in the early 1980s for major repairs. During these repairs which lasted the majority of the decade, No. 89 was completely rebuilt from the ground up including major boiler and running gear work. Emerging from its rebuild in November 1988, 89 returned to pulling the half-hour trains, being joined by former Norfolk & Western 4-8-0 No. 475 in 1993. In October 2003, No. 89 was modified and repainted to its 1950s Canadian National appearance with the tilted monogram logo. In 2008, 89’s tender logo was re-lettered to read “Strasburg Rail Road,” in keeping with Strasburg’s policy of historical authenticity. -From Wikipedia